Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Emotional Mastery

On Sunday, I went out with my nephew to one of the local telecommunication outlet to get my mobile phone line sorted. I was there for about an hour or so and I went home after that. As soon as I reached home and while I was still in the car, I received a call from an unidentified number. I was hesitant about answering the call, but I decided to pick it up.

And, it was my mum. She said to me, "Harry, please come home, your bother has met with an accident and she broke down into tears". I reacted as well and started to get worried and asked her, when and where did take place and how? I told my mum, I am just outside the out and I am coming in. This was definitely a testing time. In such times, any human being will surely react emotionally and burst out in tears.

As I walked into the house, I thought to myself, hang on there. I know that my brother has met with an accident, but what can I do about it by worrying? I am not sure what the extent of the casualty is and, there is surely no point of worrying and getting all hyped up over the matter. I thought to myself this is a test for me and a chance for me to master my emotions and control them. I started to apply what I had learned all these years about the human psyche and the effects that it has over the mind of man.

I walked in and went straight to the dining room, where my mum, dad, sister and some friends who came by heard the news as well. They were all worried and my mum told me that a car had hit into my brother, while he was riding his motorbike. They were all worried and started makings calls to find out where he was and which hospital was the ambulance was going to take him. At the same time, they wanted to drive down to the state where my brother lives, which was about 200km from the place that I live.

Everyone was upset and wanted to do something to help. I just had to intervene and ask them who provided you with the information? And, it was my brother who called them up. I thought, okay, that's a start and if he can call that means he is still conscious and that is indeed a good sign. I went on further and asked that if he said anything else? I was told that my brother seems to think that he has broken his leg in the accident.

So now, I thought that we are heading somewhere and I knew it might not be that serious as he was still able to communicate in a conscious and reasonable manner. In my past experience of rendering my service to the NHS, U.K.-- I observed that you can roughly tell by the impression of the individual if he/she has a broken bone. The signs or symptoms will usually be a great amount of pain or displeasure and that the person can usually be in hysteria or in a shock, without being able to reason properly.

As a result of all these events, I decided to reserve any judgments of the outcome and the seriousness of the matter. I told my parents to hang on for an hour or two until we hear from my brother again, and only then will we decide when to leave. They all agreed and we waited.

While waiting, I tried calling my brother's mobile phone and it was going to the voice mail. I tried calling every 10 minutes for the entire hour and finally got through to him and he said that he was on the way to the x-ray department. I then proceeded to ask him about his condition and I was told that there wasn't any head or bodily injuries and I was so pleased by that news. I informed my parents about the news and only decided to leave a little later to visit my brother that night. There was more that unfolded later that night, but I shall reserve those events for my own personal experience only.

I realised that, by practicing the 'stillness' of the mind has a very powerful effect towards your body and emotions. Many people, would however, react and over react to such situations, as emotions are difficult to control at times. But, the practice of mastering the mind does help to master your emotions and the outcome of your life.

I am not sure about you. But, have you experienced any of these events before personally or have you seen anyone within your foresight that had such an experience? What were your thought and response towards these events?

2 comments:

Shit happens! And we face the tunes then for sure. So important what you did, by calming and taking control- else its easy to breakdown and cause more worry! Well done! I hope your bro is good?:-)

Yeah he is good and now is recovering well, he just can't wait to 'run around' again as it is making him bored resting at home...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More